Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I swear, I will really start studying from tomorrow, or rather today, onwards. But just for now, just for now let me enjoy a bit of my freedom. I watched two movies and I daresay, I do not in the least regret watching them instead of studying.

The Crow is really a cult film, to the truest sense of the word. Great gritty atmosphere, set in a dark dank city teeming with evil and urban decadence. The soundtrack must be one of the best around, with stone temple pilots and such. It was goth in all its glamour. Brandon Lee was excellent as the tortured dead rock star who came back to life to avenge his and his wife's tragic deaths. Quoting Edgar Allen Poe, playing his electric guitar on the rooftop amidst the decaying state of the city, lithe and quirky movements all combined to a hero that I would very much like to call my own. One gripe though, one painful gripe was the existence of Bai Ling in the movie. Honestly, just her mere appearance could downgrade a movie so much. Certain parts of the narrative was slightly disjunctive but hey, it's from a comic eh? Best quote "Victims, aren't we all?

The second film I watched is really one I want to rave about. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)! I really took pains to find this movie. First at esplanade library which only had the videotape version, and next videoezy which didn't have it at all! Thank god for a few lovely souls who posted it up on the net:). Anyway, the movie had an all stellar cast, with Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins. These few really made the movie shine as they sank into the roles, perfect accents and all. Oldman seems to be particularly apt at playing the tortured lover, Sid and Nancy anyone? Hopkins as usual, was up t his game with the quirky, intelligent Professor Van Helsing who added much humour (albeit a dark one), to the film.

One peeve, was the casting of Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker. For one, get rid of that surfer accent dude! I almost died when he said "It's that guy!", half expecting him to jump up and go COWABUNGA! HANG TEN DUDETTE! Hmph. Anyway, Coppola really owned with the cinematography. A sort of more old school film style (reminds me of Ed Wood), with a touch of theartrics. The eerie music, dry ice mists and howling "music" of the wolves really set the atmosphere. Everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING was set for that period, and it was classic horror without all that new technology gimmicks we have nowadays.

The narrative was very true to the book, and it definetly is the most sad, tragic and yet, most romantic storylines ever. Yes, I cried. And to give it extra credit, I usually don't cry in movies! I'm a tough one yo. So yah, I really want to bawl when Mina had to stab Dracul to end his suffering, and the camera panned to the mural on the ceiling of Dracul holding the dead mina. Tears flowed, too, when Dracul struggled with himself, as he tried to reject Mina's offer to join him in the eternal life, knowing how torturous it is. My heart positively melted when he met her again in London for the first time, "I have crossed oceans of time just to find you." I'm sorry for not recounting this in order as my mind doesn't realy seem to work chrnologically.

All in all, great two movies which are to be added to my favourites list:)))).
I want to watch movies for the rest of my life.



----------------
Now playing: HIM - him - dark light - vampire heart(2)
via FoxyTunes

No comments: